Your Down Payment

Many buyers qualify for a mortgage loan, but they can't afford a large down payment. Below are a few straightforward ways to get together a down payment

Tighten your belt and save. Be on the look-out for ways you can reduce your monthly expenditures to put away money for a down payment. Also, you can look into bank programs through which some of your paycheck is automatically deposited into a savings account each pay period. Some effective methods to save additional funds include moving into housing that is less expensive, and staying local for your vacation this year.

Sell things you don't need and get a second job. Perhaps you can find an additional job and build up your earnings. Additionally, you can make an exhaustive inventory of things you can sell. Broken gold jewelry can be sold at local jewelers. A closetful of small things might add up to a nice sum at a garage or tag sale. You could also explore what any investments you have could bring if sold.

Borrow money from a retirement plan. Check the provisions of your retirement plan. Some homebuyers get down payment money from withdrawing from IRAs or borrowing from their 401(k) plans. Make sure you know about any penalties, the effect this could have on income taxes, and repayment terms.

Request a generous gift from family. Many buyers somtimes get help with their down payment help from gracious parents and other family members who are able to help them get into their own home. Your family members may be eager to help you reach the milestone of having your own home.

Contact housing finance agencies. These types of agencies provide provisional mortgate loan programs- for low and moderate-income borrowers, buyers with an interest in rehabilitating a home within a particular part of the city, and other groups as specified by each agency. Working with this type of agency, you can be given a below market interest rate, down payment help and other benefits. These types of agencies may assist eligible homebuyers with a reduced rate of interest, get you your down payment, and provide other advantages. The main mission of non-profit housing finance agencies is build up residence ownership in particular places.

Find out about low-down and no-down mortgage loans.

  • FHA mortgages

    The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), a part of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), plays a critical part in helping low to moderate-income families qualify for mortgage loans. An office of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development(HUD), FHA (Federal Housing Administration) assists homebuyers who wish to get home financing. FHA helps first-time homebuyers and others who may not be eligible for a typical mortgage loan on their own, by providing mortgage insurance to the lenders. Interest rates for an FHA loan generally feature the market interest rate, but the down payment with an FHA loan are lower than those of conventional loans. Closing costs can be included in the mortgage, and your down payment might be as low as 3 percent of the total amount.

  • VA mortgages

    VA loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterens and service people can get a VA loan, which usually offers a reasonable fixed rate of interest, no down payment, and limited closing costs. Although the VA doesn't provide the loans, it does certify eligibility to qualify for a VA mortgage.

  • Piggy-back loans

    A piggy-back loan is a second mortgage that closes along with the first. Often the first mortgage is for 80% of the cost of the home and the "piggyback" funds 10%. The borrower pays the remaining 10%, instead of needing to put together the usual 20% down payment.

  • Carry-Back loans

    We a seller carries back a second mortgage, the you borrow a portion of the seller's home equity.. You would borrow the largest portion of the purchase price from a traditional lender and finance the remainder with the seller. Typically, this form of second mortgage will have a higher rate of interest.

The feeling of accomplishment will be the same, no matter which approach you use to pull together the down payment. Your brand new home will be your reward!

Need to talk about down payment options? Give us a call at (888) 299-4585.

Got a Question?

Do you have a question? We can help. Simply fill out the form below and we'll contact you with the answer, with no obligation to you. We guarantee your privacy.

Your Information
Your Question